english, reading, and writing for standardized tests
Content and strategies for the SAT and ACT
By Andy Williamson MA (Oxon) MSc
July Session: Monday 9 - Friday 13 July 3.30-5.30pm
August Session: Monday 13 - Friday 17 August 3.30-5.30pm
The Verbal sections constitute 50% of a student's final SAT and ACT score. For students who struggle with reading comprehension, grammar, or general writing, these sections can be extremely daunting. Students often feel that it's simply not possible for them to improve their performance on these sections in a short time. That couldn't be further from the truth! This class is designed to show students that they can make sense of the Reading sections, master the grammar, and ace the essay - all by following a few simple principles.
By the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Glean key information by reading only the pertinent sections of passages
- Answer the Reading section much faster
- Understand that 90% of grammar questions only address a handful of principles
- Approach the essay in the way the examiner wants
- Make their life easier, and take the stress out of the verbal section
This course is two-part; it will focus on both content and strategy. The content covered will be the key tenets of Reading and Writing Comprehension: word choice and grammar, synonyms, writer's intentions, as well as ethos, pathos, and logos. The strategy section will focus on how we can use our knowledge of the content to answer questions more quickly. The Writing section in particular only addresses five main topics, so learning how to determine which it is will speed up the whole process.
- Monday: Reading - how to work out what the question wants
- Tuesday: Writing and Language - The five key issues
- Wednesday: Essays - strategies and planning
- Thursday: Reading - Writer's intentions and advanced questions
- Friday: Writing and Language - Structural issues
Andy is the founder of Hampton Tutors. He has been coaching the SAT and ACT since arriving in the US, and has taught students of all abilities. Andy is a firm believer in the use of strategies to 'hack' the SAT and the ACT, and that any student is capable of getting a strong score on either test.
4500 9th Ave NE, Suite 300, Seattle, WA, 98105
Class may be billable through insurance in some cases; contact Hampton Tutors for further information.
Terms, conditions and refund policy:
In the event that you must cancel, your payment will be fully refundable until 5 business days prior to the class start date. Cancellations made less than 5 business days in advance of the class will be partially refunded at 50% (for example, $250 refund payment for a $500 class). Cancellations may be made by phone or email.
In the event that we must cancel the class, we will notify you via phone or email and refund you in full.